So, after reading through some of my recent entries, I realized my blog is so far pretty focused on me.... and Everett hopefully..... but I'm missing one big component: JON! Thought I should mention a little about life in Hawaii for him.
For anyone who doesn't already know, Jon is a chemical engineer who is on a project with General Atomics (GA) working with algae. Yes, the green scummy looking stuff in ponds and whatnot. They grow it in man-made ponds and harvest it for oil to make biodiesel fuel. It will be used as an alternative fuel to replace higher cost jet fuels. They have several small ponds in the San Diego headquarters but are starting a much larger scale facility here in Lihue, Kaua'i. Jon, along with four other guys (two of which brought their families) were sent to help with the construction of the new facility as well as the algae growth and harvesting. The project is currently funded by the Department of Defense and there are several deadlines along the way that they check in on. Jon loves his job and I am very proud of him. Without his hard work, I never would have gotten to have my dream of living on the beach!
One thing that is different about his job here versus in San Diego is red dirt. That's what the ground is made of here and since he works on a large dirt lot with ponds dug out, it's everywhere. This stuff is serious. There is a company called Red Dirt Shirts that claims they use one bucket of Kaua'i dirt to dye 500 shirts red! I totally believe it because half of Jon's clothes have now seen the same fate. Here are his work shoes after just one week:
Jon's favorite part about his new job here is the need to drive around on 4-wheelers because of the size of the lot. Here he is showing his helmet to a very interested E.
E-Man had fun playing peek-a-boo with Dad in the helmet.
Recently, Jon's boss took him and a coworker fishing to a very exclusive spot and they had a great time.
On to the other man in my life, he is getting smarter every day. When I ask him where my nose is, he points to it and says "nose"!! Is that normal for 14 months!? (if so, don't tell me, I like to think my baby's a genius). Here he is answering Daddy's "phone":
and answering his own phone
Ok, so he's not always exercising his genius..... yes, that is a bar of soap
He must have said a bad word.....
I am so very proud of both of the guys in my life and I think it's safe to say they are both very much enjoying their Hawaiian adventure :-)
How adorable! Your little man has the cutest expressions! That red dirt is something else. We had to toss more socks and shirts during our time in Guam, the stuff can dye anything!
ReplyDelete