It is Christmas Eve but this year feels different. This year I have a heavier heart in light of the devastating shooting that took place a little over a week ago. I don't know how this event has affected you, but all of a sudden, I am seeing everything related to this season in a different light. Suddenly, I have been given perspective that goes ignored every other year as I bustle around doing the obligatory December activities. It's as if I have been jolted out of a zombie-like state of auto-pilot and am now just standing here, confused, looking around and wondering, why am I doing this?
I can't tell you how many times I hear (and say myself), "December is just so crazy with the holidays and all". Maybe you can relate. But while I've had moments of clarity, I've never really stopped to ask myself, does it have to be that way? I stress out about getting all my shopping done, making the perfect preparations for company, getting my Christmas cards ordered and sent out in time, baking cookies, making sure the decorations are up and Christmas scented candles lit. But why? What is this perfect Christmas that I am trying to achieve? I overburden myself with so much to do that I hardly even pause to enjoy the feeling I'm so desperately trying to create. As my respected fellow blogger Jen Hatmaker puts it, acting this way is "insane at best, sacrilegious at worst."
Which brings me to my next point. I am ashamed to say that I have been sucked in by today's culture. The materialism and busyness of the moment has taken precedence over the eternal and meaningful. And so it seems the sharp stab of horrific tragedy right smack in the middle of shallow and meaningless preparations was enough to wake me up from my hypnosis and force me to reconsider my entire approach.
It's time, as my toddler would say (because he is constantly hearing it himself) to "take it down a notch". Switch the focus. I have been given an opportunity to take a break from all of the pressure to have a "perfect" Christmas. Instead of worrying about what gift I am going to give to whom and how that gift will be received, in these next couple days, I am making a conscious decision to focus on The Gift that was given to me and the rest of the world on the very first Christmas. The Gift that came into the world to save our very souls if we receive it.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23
I believe that God sent Jesus into the world to give us new perspective. To show us that we don't have to worry about having it all together because He is perfect for us. And if we choose to believe in Him and receive Him as Lord of our life, we are free forever. Free from the eventual penalty of sin (death), free from the pressure to earn heaven, free to lean on His perfection instead of our own. That is the only way to experience peace in such a busy season.
For God so loved the world that He sent his one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved... For everyone that calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:9-10 and 13
This is the Gift that Christmas is all about.
This Gift is the source of true and lasting peace. That is what I need to focus on this December. The peace Jesus offers is always there, waiting for me to take it. But in my thinking I can do it all on my own, I just let it sit there and glance at it from time to time wishing I had the courage to take it. I choose to be anxious, busy and stressed out instead. I so easily get pulled away from the eternal perspective and get caught up in my day to day life and worries. I need the peace that exceeds all understanding. The peace that no matter what happens, through sheer tragedy or just times of chaos, in this life and the next, I will be with the One who loves me more than anyone.
My busy, stressed out, heavy heart needs some lasting peace. Maybe yours does too. May we grab hold of the Gift - the Prince of Peace himself, and hold on tight this Christmas and in the New Year.
Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Romans 5:1
Merry Christmas from my family to yours!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
P.S. For those of you who are thinking you will stop reading this blog because it has gotten too preachy, I'm done.... except for this ;) - I'm sharing all this because I love you and am praying that you will find true peace this Christmas.


Needed this buddy! I especially loved when you said I CHOOSE to be anxious, busy and stressed out. So true. Thanks for the perspective. Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way this year, too much commotion and you lose sight of the reason for the season! And by the way, you are not being too preachy at all. I love your awesome perspective on life!!
ReplyDelete