When we moved into this new place a few weeks ago, we were told that we'd most likely be here until the end of May. I was discouraged because I had hoped to be back to San Diego in time for the baby to be born. It would have been easier for family to get out to us and we already had a network of support there. However, with the Lord's help, I began to adjust to the idea of having the baby in Kauai. We even set up the second bedroom with plans in mind for family to stay with us to help take care of Everett. I planned a trip back to SD to pick up all our baby stuff and bring it back in preparation. I focused on my amazing new support network here in Kauai and was given peace and even excitement about the change of plans.
Right about that time, we got a new update from Jon's work that the funding for Kauai was being switched back to San Diego until they figured out what was next. Which meant they were sending everyone back. We were given two weeks to make arrangements and head back to SD. That was last Friday. We were in complete shock. I had just adjusted to staying! I had been focusing on developing my friendships here with long term in mind. And then to turn around and tell them all that in just a short amount of time we'd be gone was heartbreaking. After some painful conversations and lots of tears, we started making arrangements to move back to San Diego.
It has now been a week and although we are very sad to leave, we are adjusting again to the idea of being back in California. It will be easier and a little more stable for when the baby is born. Plus, we are so excited to see all of our friends and family we've been missing. However, for some reason*, there have been many delays with the planning of our return (i.e. Monday being a holiday, the guy in charge of booking the movers being out of town, etc). Due to all of that, we weren't able to schedule our flight home until this morning. We were thankful for the extra time it gave us here, but still, when the trip was finally booked we began to breath a sigh of relief that all the turmoil was over.
I wish I could tell you that was the end of the story.
But the adventure continues....
Exactly two hours and two minutes later, Jon called from work with some new information. The funds had just been approved for further research in Kauai and they told him we can stay after all. When he relayed this information to me over the phone, I laughed and said, "that's actually not funny, Jon". After a moment of silence on his end, to my utter shock I realized he was serious.
These thoughts followed:
Is this some kind of joke? All right, where are the cameras? Seriously, God, why wait until I am adjusted to the new plans once again? I'm almost seven months pregnant - I can't handle this much back and forth!
To which He answered:
"Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10a)
I am not good at being still. But I have been learning to trust that He is God. That He is sovereign. That He is in control and everything I go through is part of His ultimate plan for me. Now is definitely not the time to lose sight of that. So I dug a little deeper for some more encouraging words.
"Though the mountains move and the hills shake, my love will not be removed from you." -Isaiah 54:10
"However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." -1 Corinthians 2:9
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord; plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11
So after all this, have we made a decision? Sorry to keep you in suspense, but the answer is no. We are "being still" right now. But we will let you know when the adventure resumes.
Thank you for your prayers!
Being still sure is tough! The military does this to us all the time. Our friends just sold and moved out of their house last week...with no permanant orders to move so they're in a hotel hoping and waiting for those orders to show up soon. It's pretty crazy but in the end, it always works out. I know it has to be ten times worse as you get closer to your no-fly time for the baby. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteOh Em! What a roller coaster...but I am proud of your patience and waiting on the Lord. Such a testament of your faith. The Walkers will be praying for you guys as you figure this out. Try to stay stress-free..gotta keep that blood pressure down!! Love you!
ReplyDelete