Psalm 33:20-21

We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help an our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. - Psalm 33:20-21

Monday, September 21, 2009

Underappreciated

A few weeks ago Jon and I did date #1 of "The Great Date Experiment" (check it out at http://www.marriedlifeonline.com/greatdate_bc.jsp).  It's a series of 6 dates, each revolving around one of their "Big 6 Essentials" for marriage relationships - if you're married, you should definately check this out.  Each date is set up in a scavenger hunt-esque way where you only get to see the first step (i.e. pick a place for an appetizer) and once you're done with that you can read the next step.  Anyways, all that endorsing and now I'm going to give away part of date #1 in my blog..... SPOILER ALERT!!..... don't read on if you might try the dates and would be bummed to know a part of the first one.

So in one of the steps, there's a part where you have to go to a store and you have 10 minutes to buy your spouse a gift for under $2.  You split up when you walk in and meet outside on a bench or whatever in 10 with your gift ready.  Then you explain why you got them that and have a little romantic moment ;)  Jon & I really loved this part of the date and have done this a couple times since just for fun. 

This past Saturday, we wanted to do it but for whatever reason, we couldn't agree on a store.  Apparently, Jon already had a gift in mind for me because he decided that instead, he would just drive me there with my eyes closed and I could wait in the car while he bought it.

Ok, a little background as to the thoughtfulness of this gift.... I've blogged before about how much I loved the Twilight books.  Well, in them, they reference the novel Wuthering Heights a lot - it's an old school book written in the 1800's about a dark love story, maybe partly an inspiration for the vampire series.  Also, we were watching "Vampire Diaries" last Thursday (I have to put a disclaimer here that Jon does not like the show - I make him watch it with me - he would want you to know) and they also mentioned Wuthering Heights.  So I said "I want to read that book - they mention it in Twilight too as if it's a classic.  It must be good!"  I honestly thought Jon wasn't even paying attention when I said it because of his misery about having to sit through Vampire Diaries....

When I opened my eyes in the car Saturday and saw Wuthering Heights in my hands I was completely shocked.  My first thought was that I do not give this guy enough credit.  What an amazing man I have!  I need to appreciate him more - this was definately the highlight of my weekend, maybe my week too! 


1 comment:

  1. Awww, what a sweet gift! I think that is so thoughtful! What a fun "date" I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete